Sunday, November 13, 2022

How To Cheer Me

Photo by Drazen Nesic on Pixnio


  1. Endow an empty lot in native grass 

scatter throughout wildflowers

let nature course

it will find its own design

here a blade of wild rye

beside black-eyed susans

there a stand of sunflowers

heads lolling on necks


  1. Silence the mower

stow the weed wacker

flip off the edger

kill the leaf blower

listen to a different drone

one cricket leg rubbing against another

one cicada wing sliding by the other

One hummingbird hovers near me


  1. Let bugs be. The turkeys will hunt them

especially the juveniles

gliding off afternoon roosts

football bodies covered in black feathers

lodgepole pine cone necks outstretched

nubby bluish heads the texture of concrete

leaping above the grassline 

trying to take in dragonflies

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beauty of nature all around us, may we take time to enjoy it!

Lisa said...

This poem feels so much like a prayer to me. I could physically sense myself slowing down and opening up while I was reading it. Thank you for sharing it!

Laura Felleman said...

Thank you for your comments! My intention with this piece was to share the sense of calm I've found in the meadow. I'm so happy to hear that the tone works.