Saturday, May 8, 2021

The Muir Less Traveled

Embed from Getty Images

 The Muir Less Traveled published on Trouvaille Review, May 7, 2021.

Backstory:  I had hoped to hike among ancient, towering redwoods during a California vacation.  Unfortunately when my husband and I arrived at Muir Forest, the parking lot was full as were the grassy areas on either side of the road. We were one of many carloads of people seeking spaces to park creeping past tourists  who were walking down the road towards the park's main entrance.

I gave up on my idea of experiencing a nature high among giant redwoods and drove away disappointed.  Farther down the same road we saw a sign for Muir Beach, and needing a break from the traffic, I pulled into the parking area.  We parked in the shade, and headed out to explore the hills around the beach. 

It was a sunny day, but breezy and I was glad for my jacket.  The lack of trees on the trail was more than made up for by the views of the ocean.  We only passed a few other people on the trail, which was a welcome relief after the crowd of cars around the Forest.

The experience reminded me of the news stories that ask if we are loving our National Parks to death.

No comments: